08 Mar Asbestos Register: Important requirements for Strata Managers
Asbestos Register: Important requirements for Strata Managers
Not all Strata Managers or Owners Corporations may be aware of the requirements under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 where there is Asbestos presence at the premises they manage.
An integral part of CRM Brokers’ role is to keep its clients well informed, so that by receiving reliable information it will ensure appropriate cover is then arranged for the Owners Corporation.
Under Section 8 of the Act, the person with management or control of a workplace must ensure an asbestos register/report is prepared and kept at the workplace. The Act prescribed that a workplace is defined as anywhere where work is carried out for a business or undertaking, or anywhere where a worker goes or likely to be while at work. That means, the common property (Owners Corporations building) is considered as a workplace.
An asbestos register is not required for a workplace if:
• the workplace was a building that was constructed after 31 December 2003, and
• no asbestos has been identified in the workplace, and
• no asbestos is likely to be present at the workplace from time to time.
The asbestos register must:
• record any asbestos that has been identified or is assumed to be present at the workplace
• record the date when the asbestos was identified
• record the location, type and condition of the asbestos
• be maintained to ensure up-to-date information
• state if no asbestos has been identified
• be given to the employer or business (or other person conducting a business or undertaking), when there is a change of management or controller of the workplace.
Asbestos must be labelled, where possible. For example a label can be placed in the electrical meter box indicating that the building contains asbestos and the location of the register.
Photographs or drawings are useful for showing the location of asbestos in the workplace.
More information can be accessed through https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2011L02664 or contact your CRM Broker on 1300 880 494.